[Ansteorra] Which brings us to...

willow taylor jonwillowpel at juno.com
Sun Apr 28 19:20:22 PDT 2002

Hi everybody this is Willow who is damn near the oldest member you got in
SCA years. I started when I was 18 in AS 3.

I watched this cycle happen over and over again but what is happening is
somewhat new. I think the lost of old member and the lack of retention of
new member is the same problem. We are having less fun.  For years I have
stayed up all night at event and had a great time but now there is
nothing going on so I go home.  I thought it was me but at the 20th
Coronation there were activities that lasted to sun up and I had a great
time. We didn't have just one bardic circle we had four. We had dancing
and singing and games. Activities were arranged to last that long.

Some people think that this kind of fun "just happens". I am sorry to say
this is not true. The organization may not be official but it happens.
Someone has to spring for the lights, set up the camp, pass the word and
keep things going when there aren't enough  people. People have to agree
to come and keep the fun going. In the old day a lot of people would take
on this kind of responsible. Today I see a lot of people being followers
and watchers but not organizers.

I had to quit because of money factors and my health. I could not get
people to help with the cost and labor. I have all this stuff, (rugs,
lights, wall hangings, pillows and pavilions) for setting up party areas
and I can't get anyone to help me do something. Everyone doesn't want to
take the initiative. They do not want to do the work. The people who used
the stuff stopped helping too. People where willing to come and dance on
the rugs and lie on the pillow and watch the shows but they were not
willing to come by the next day and help me put them up. We used to be a
group where everyone was willing to do something for the public good but
now to many people just sit.

I believe that we have more activities people will find it worth their
while to stay.

willow de Wisp