[Ansteorra] The Journey: A&S

Mahee mahee_of_acre at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 17 09:56:51 PDT 2002

>We used to do our arts and crafts for their own sake and the joy that
they brought us.

>As an aspiring performer and poet, I look for competitions where I can
perform and show my works so I can receive feedback on my work.
> Obviously, I like competition:
>(Yes, it can be taken to extremes and made bad, but so
> can anything.) But I also realize that many people don't like
> competition.
> As for research driving the perception of Authenticity Police, I ask
> hasn't research always been an important aspect of A&S? Without it,
how can verify our efforts as true to the period? I think that the
higher standards for research these days is merely a reflection of the
fact that as we grow older, the standards grow higher in all aspects.
What passed for good costuming 20 years ago no longer passes the
standards now. The same holds true for fighting and most aspects of the
society, why not for
> research?

I am sorry for the massive editing.

As a performer, while you perform, you see the reactions of your
audiences face. As a fighter, you win or loose against one fighter at a
time. In a static A&S you may or may not get to talk with the judge who
may or may not know as much as you do about what you are doing. Also
you are competing, like in bardic, against everyone at the same time.
It is a different type of competition.

You are right, that A&S has changed much as we have grown as a society.
The problem is that we are not all as aged in the society as others.
When A&S is judged, we are judged against a masters skill. It would be
much like if I knew that every time I stepped onto the tourney field I
would draw you at your peek performance...why bother stepping on the
field other than for the sheer pleasure of getting my toosh wooped.

On the field, your weapons vary, in A&S although I can do stainglass or
calligraphy or weaving and so on, the battle is still faught with the
printed word. Very infrequently do the judges interview the
partisipants.

Also, unlike combat, no one says you can not swing that way because it
can not be proven that people swong that way in period. I have been
told more than once that tatting is not period. It was started by the
egyptions 2000bc, but did not enter the household of the european rich
until after 1600ad, so "it is obviously not period." and there is no
research done to say what it was being used for in the 3600 years
between those dates.

authenticity is important in A&S. Knowledge is important in A&S. Skill
is important in A&S. and your ability to write about it all.

A&S is growing as the society grows, and much of it in a very good way.
Some aspects are old and we just keep polishing them up, when what
needs to happen is to have the system change...much like armor
standards change.

Just thoughts to think on.

your servant,
mahee