[Ansteorra] The Journey (was SCA slang)

Brian Martin BMartin at Corp.Prodigy.com
Wed Apr 17 07:51:23 PDT 2002

> This is a thought. Could the increased interest in Arts and Science
> competitions and the emphases on documentation bought on by the Gulf War
> and our interaction with Merides and Trimiris be a cause in the perceived
> increase of the Authenticity Police. We used to do our arts and crafts
> for their own sake and the joy that they brought us. It seems now that
> everything is being judged.

I disagree that there is an increased interest in competitions in A&S. It
seems to me that there is a balance of competitions and displays. If
anything, I feel that there are too few competitions. Take Kingdom A&S last
fall: I was told that this was the kingdom wide competition for A&S and that
it was held every other year - alternating with Laurel's Prize Tourney which
is display only. To be frank, disappointed in the lack of competition at
Kingdom A&S. It certainly wasn't a competition as I know it. As an aspiring
performer and poet, I look for competitions where I can perform and show my
works so I can receive feedback on my work. That feedback and discourse with
judges helped me improve my research, which gave me a much deeper
understanding and appreciation of poetry. That deeper understanding of
poetry increased my desire to more, and to explore not only the intricacies
of sonnets, but to try new forms as well. Had I instead been placing my
poems in displays and not received critical help from two very good judges
(Mistress Charla and Corinne), I would not have been pushed to explore and
learn and improve myself as an artist.

Obviously, I like competition: I'm a knight and I played competitive sports
the entire time I was growing up. I think that competition is healthy and
pushes us to improve. (Yes, it can be taken to extremes and made bad, but so
can anything.) But I also realize that many people don't like competition.
For those people, there are a good many A&S displays out there that are not
judged. Also, if you wish to display but not compete, you can set your work
out with a note explaining that you are displaying your work but do not wish
to be entered into the competition. I've seen Master Thomas do this and
thought it a good idea. The same can be done in bardic competitions.
Finally, I disagree that competition and making art for the love it are
mutually exclusive. I think that you can love doing something, and also
competing with it - be that thing a sword or a poem.

As for research driving the perception of Authenticity Police, I ask hasn't
research always been an important aspect of A&S? Without it, how can verify
our efforts as true to the period? I think that the higher standards for
research these days is merely a reflection of the fact that as we grow
older, the standards grow higher in all aspects. What passed for good
costuming 20 years ago no longer passes the standards now. The same holds
true for fighting and most aspects of the society, why not for research?

Pendaran
(Does this make me an art jock?)