[Ansteorra] 10' credibility tool

C. Weed cweed at austin.rr.com
Thu Apr 18 23:26:48 PDT 2002

In regard to Marc Carlson's estimation of the infamous 10 foot rule, Donnel
writes:

The first rule [that just outlines some sort of effort discerned at 10 feet]
is correct this one [an effort that would fool the eye of a field expert at
10 feet] is  not.
Donnel

Which is an interesting, albeit a somewhat absolutist view.  I think the
credibility of the sca could be *drastically* improved in regard to the
historical community, the educational community, as well as the re-enactment
community if we adopted Mr. Carlson's standard rather than the one approved
above.  If any of you doubt that there is a bit of an intellectual stigma
attached to the sca as a seriously informative source, bring it up as a
credential in the circles listed above.  (See groups like HACA/ARMA, and the
sundry reenactment groups from the Regency to the Civil War to the
Buckskinner eras for contrast)

There's a pecking order in the world of
clubs-where-folks-dress-up-and-make-rules and the sca is nowhere near the
top.

The scas defining documents present us as "educational" but I think one
member in ten could say to a group of middle schoolers with an honest face:
"Yes, Johnny, this is what people in [insert time/place] looked like."  The
rest would get some very interesting and pointed questions about tennis
shoes and about the wearing of athletic supporters on the outsides of
sweatpants and about animal faces painted on fencing masks and about ninja
swords tucked into Viking belts and about basket hilts and bargrills and and
and ad nauseum ad infinitum.

I have long thought that the "educational" bit of our definition is a farce.
I think, in honesty, we're far more interested in our own socialization than
we are in informing the external public.  It's not a bad thing- I just wish
we could either stop pretending or step up to the challenge the wording
presents.  Donnels interpretation of the 10' rule says to me: "A t-tunic
rather than a t-shirt".  Marcs says: "Spend the extra twelve bucks and get
the linen to really set the mood."  This little hiccough could, of course,
be rectified if we defined ourselves as a fraternity but that's another road
for another horse on another day.

C. Weed
Who loves the SCA no matter if we live up to our rhetoric or not.

Addendum:

It occurs to me that there could be a flood of "But what about Mistress
Gunnorra: Viking Answer Lady Extrordinaire?" type responses.  Let me say
this to those before the blood pressure medicine runs out: yes, we have many
people who are members of the sca that are *HIGHLY* respected in the
academic and reenactment world at large.  They stand out as giants among us.
Mr. Carlson is to the historical shoemaking community worldwide, a pillar.
Iolo has crossbows in Museums worldwide and his consultation on the subject
is second to no person alive.  On more than one occasion an SCA member has
won a major costuming competition open to professionals- see Truly Biggs and
Dawn Hemphill (Lady Eleanor and Mistress Ariella) as prime examples.  We've
had (and still have, I believe) Laurels in our Kingdom with PhDs.  But I
don't think they, in general, use the sca as a credential and I'd even wager
that these same people have noticed the same or a similar trend to the one
I've noted here within their respective specialized academic and
professional neighborhoods.