[Ansteorra] History/Enculturation/Cliquishness....

Rebecca Bevel rebevel at hotmail.com
Wed Apr 24 15:31:25 PDT 2002

Avery-
    You have hit one of my hot buttons. I have long believed that some of us
need an attitude adjustment. Gentlemen (or other able-bodied folks) should
not have to be afraid to offer.  Perhaps part of the problem is that ladies
(or others who may be or appear to be in need of assistance) have not been
taught how to respond. It can be uncomfortable when you are used to just
handling things to suddenly have your only responsbility be to just act
nice.
    As a helpless lady, I often find myself in need of assistance.  When I
look about, I see gentlemen preparing for the lists, or packing up their
armor, or teaching new fighters, or involved in a discussion with an
officer/autocrat/Crown, or running errands for the cook, or... the list is
endless.  The point is, it is not reasonable to expect an offer. If they
don't offer, please assume it's because they are busy.  I can't tell you how
many times I have looked about for help, found no one available, picked up
my load and had offers of help before taking 3 steps.  In fact, I have found
that not demanding help is the best way to get it.  If it doesn't happen, I
don't get hurt because I did not expect it.
    People who expect to not have to carry their own things, become
beligerent when an offer does not come quickly enough, and treat those who
offer as their personal servants drive me nuts. No where in our rules does
it say that you should never have to carry your own chair, or set your own
camp, or what have you. Generally, we have so many helpful people that you
don't have to, but sometimes they are busy being helpful somewhere else.  We
have to take special care of these helpful people, by expressing our thanks
when they do help, by being wise about when to accept help (thank you so for
the offer, but I believe Lady Soandso is in far more need than I), and
never, ever being rude in accepting or declining.
    If you want able-bodied folks to offer assistance, then you should
encourage it at every turn.  It is our responsibility as ladies to be
gracious, even if we can do it our selves.  I am often reminded of a 3 year
old stamping her foot and saying, "I can do it" when an offer is declined.
This does not always mean accepting what is offered, although that is
usually the correct response.  We must at least be kind if we refuse. No one
will keep offering if they are consistently rebuffed.
      An offer for help is a very special gift.  People don't offer because
they think they are stronger or smarter or faster than us, but because they
believe in courtesy. We should treasure these gifts.  They allow us to step
out of our mundane roles for a moment.  And all we have to do is behave with
a modicum of courtesy to return the gift.
Rebekah
joining Pendaran by the fire.