[Ansteorra] History/Enculturation/Cliquishness....

Harris Mark.S-rsve60 Mark.s.Harris at motorola.com
Wed Apr 24 17:05:37 PDT 2002

Gunnora made some good comments about assistance at
things like carrying loads and then gave a summary.

While I tend to agree with most of what she says, I'm
sure if one of her points reads the way she meant or not.

> My thoughts on this whole thread boils down to:

> (3) If someone offers unneeded/unwanted assistance, it should
> *always* be
> refused politely and graciously.  There is no need for
> gratuitous rudeness
> or political oratory in response to such an offer.

This is the one that makes me frown a bit. Should unneeded/
unwanted assistance ALWAYS be refused?

Perhaps this would be better worded "If someone offers
unneeded/unwanted assistance, AND YOU DECIDE TO
REFUSE THE OFFER, it should *always* be refused politely
and graciously." Capitalization is only to emphasis what
I would add.

It is possible that this was meant to be implied by
Gunnora.

Even if the assistance is not needed, I can see reasons
to accept it. Among them, the fact that you might find
later along that you could indeed use the assistance,
perhaps you have never met the gentle making the offer
and this is a chance to do so, while you may be perfectly
capable of handling the task by yourself, sharing the
work leaves you less tired out.

Stefan li Rous