[Ansteorra] When did this change????

j_smallw at titan.sfasu.edu j_smallw at titan.sfasu.edu
Wed Aug 7 20:27:47 PDT 2002

Sorry for taking so long to get back to this.

The advice of accounting for it in the budget is a good one, but for smaller
group's events it has the effect of inflating the site fee even larger.  Let's
say that the event is probably going to have an attendance of 50 to 75.
Budgeting for the $100 will raise the site fee by 1.33 to 2.00.  This can be
significant.  The question becomes "how does this policy (3 pages for 1 event
and pay for all the rest) affect the smaller groups?"

If groups were allowed to use the 3 pages as needed (say 2 for 1 event and 1
for another), then the amount figured into the budget goes down.  It's usually
good business practice to pass costs along to the consumer, but you've got to
ask at what point is the consumer unwilling to foot that bill.  At that point,
you've got to figure out how to cut costs.  Allowing the pages to be used as
needed is one way to cut those costs.  They are getting 3 pages anyway, what
does it matter whether they use 1 in May, 1 in June (for one event) and use the
third in November and pay $50 for the December ad for their Yule event?

Many will say "It's just $1.00 more for site.  That's just a 20 oz Coke at a
convenience store.  It's not that much of a burden."  That reasoning is used
for everything from raising membership costs, property taxes, gas prices, etc.
If you sit down and think about all the "for the price of a Coke"'s that you're
footing, you're probably paying for a couple of six packs every day or two.

Personally, I see no reason why groups should be limited to using the free
pages to a single event.  The only reason I've heard is that the extra
paperwork would be a burden but no details were given for why it was thought
that.

Ansgar von Aachen