[Ansteorra] When did this change????

Michael Tucker michaelt at neosoft.com
Sun Aug 4 01:42:06 PDT 2002

> Ditto the Shire of the Wastelands, which has one page for Defender in
> this
> month's Black Star, and will have two pages in next month.  That
> exhausts
> our three for the year, but we could have used one of the pages for
> Games
> back in April or March.
>
> Dwen

Actually, that isn't quite correct. The policy is: up to 3 free pages
FOR ONE EVENT. Those pages may be spread out among more than one issue
of the Black Star. This has been the policy for over of a year.

Per the June, 2001 Black Star: "Each hosting group is entitled to two
free pages of event advertisement in the Black Star PER YEAR (not per
event, as it has been in the past)." Lord Stefan amended this policy,
upping it to three free pages but limiting it to one event.

Most folks seem to be using this as one page two months before the
event, and two pages (with a map and directions to site) the month
before the event.

This has made the size of each month's Black Star much more consistent.
Where we were getting killed (before enacting this policy) was when the
Black Star would go over 2 ounces. The stipend basically pays for
printing and mailing a 2 ounce newsletter. Even a single sheet of paper
more was costing us several hundred dollars a month in excess postage.
By getting this under control, and having groups pay for any additional
pages, the Black Star is paying for itself. Between this and the fund
raisers that were done for a few months last year, the Black Star was
able to repay its several thousand dollar debt to the Kingdom. It
appears to be operating at sometimes a slight profit ("normal" sized
issues), sometimes a slight loss (fat issues) - basically break-even, as
it should.

Michael Silverhands
deputy to the Kingdom Chronicler