[Ansteorra] When did this change????

j_smallw at titan.sfasu.edu j_smallw at titan.sfasu.edu
Mon Aug 5 06:33:21 PDT 2002

So we went from 2 free pages per event to 2 free pages for a single event.  I
can understand how that could easily change Blackstar revenue.

Then we went to 3 free pages for a single event (an improvement over just 2).
I can see how this could affect smaller group events that have smaller budgets
if they do more than one event per year.  The second event has an advertising
expense of $100 (for 2 months of single page ads) right off the bat.
Admittedly, they would have the same problem with the previous policy (2 pages
for a single event per year).

I've heard that the suggestion has been made to change it to 3 free pages per
year to be used as the group sees fit (2 for 1 event, and 1 page for a second
event, for example, making their ad expense for the second event $50 rather
than the above $100).  I've also heard that this suggestion was shot down due
to the impression that it would create too much additional record keeping.

I'd also like to point out that the late fees for the Black Star have recently
changed from a graduated schedule to a flat $50 even if the ad is a single day
late.  Since the Black Star is apparently running in the black now, I can only
figure that it's just increased incouragement to get groups to get their ads in
on time, rather than trying to get even more money for the Black Star.

I would be interested to find out what impact these various policy changes have
had on advertising practices at the group level.  Are more groups using the 3
pages for their events (1/2)?  Are they buying three pages for a second or
third event or are they going with the absolute minimum to reduce cost?
Likewise, has this policy affected smaller (poorer) groups?  Are they only
putting on one event a year rather than occasionally putting on a second event
because they might operate at a loss on the second event due to the cost of
advertising?

Ansgar