[Ansteorra] A&S issues, was Query

Carolle M Cox hpockets at verizon.net
Tue Aug 27 08:56:36 PDT 2002

To Her Grace Willow de Wisp, greetings

In this humble craftswoman's view, what you write is quite close to the
truth.  Had i known that telling a Peer one's views was appropriate, i could
have written much of your letter to you months ago.
I have entered all of three A&S competitions in the 16 months i have been in
Ansteorra.  I've also taught at least 4 times.  I love to teach.  Others are
most welcome to my spot in the competitions, except for one tiny problem:
If i don't exhibit, then how do folks know that i also teach?  I feel
trapped into entering competitions that i really have little interest in.
This is made all the more so by the current habit of judges not offering
constructive comments, either in person or on judging forms (i have yet to
get even one back!).
I see the dichotomy as between Heavy List fighting and A&S.  Here in
Ansteorra, it is becoming the 'rule' that all events, including those
judging titled A&S competitions, must have fighting of some sort.
Otherwise, no one wants to attend.  Recently, i stepped down from a MOAS
position, largely due to frustration.  It was durn near impossible to drum
up Any interest in the Crafts of our period among a population mostly
dedicated to Heavy List fighting. (Don't they know the armor they just spent
weeks and months making is a Craft, and as such has merit at exhibits and
classes?).
Since i send this to an open forum, let me hasten to state that i,
personally, enjoy watching the Lists.  I'm learning to be a List Mistress,
just for that reason.  I'm just really concerned that folks seem to be
separating into little interest-camps, with list fighters ruling the entire
effort.
My ultimate goal in the SCA is to learn all i can, and since teaching is
naught but learning twice, I will share 'my' gleanings with any who wish to
acquire them (or civilly debate my ideas).

Respectfully,
Lady Gerita della Mara