[Ansteorra] Criteria...

L T ldeerslayer at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 30 09:06:16 PDT 2002

--snip--

> But what is the difference in what we perceive and real and what is
> real.
> Like the kid that sits in my classroom and I think he dose not have a clue
> and then when I test him he knows it all. What I perceive and what is real is
> not always the same.

I understand...there are a number of times in the SCA that someone appeared
to have done something...good or bad...and I find out later that it wasn't
them...or the situation was not as I perceived...I have learned to watch for
a patterns of behaviour and to investigate things that matter to me...
and blow off things that don't...

---snip---

> > and really, especially for the services stuff, trying to compare each
> > person's
> > service is like comparing apples and oranges
>
>    I think you are wrong here. You have to do some kind of comparing to set
> your baseline of understanding and Criteria.

Even if you have baseline criteria...it is difficult...

and I was speaking of comparing two different people's service to
each other...not each person to the baseline...

My baseline criteria is a continually evolving...and it's taken me
14 years to get it to the point that I posted in on this list...

and truthfully, my criteria for Grant and Peerage is way sketchy...
It's hard enough to "judge" what is enough for a AoA...but beyond
that it takes investigation and intuition...and just seeing how it
"feels"...so much of service is unseen that you have to figure out
if the portion of the iceberg that you see is directly attached to
an individual or reflected off another...and even if you can directly
attribute it to an individual, there is no telling how large it is
under the surface or what quality ice...

That's why it is so important for those people who witness the activity
send in recommendations to the Crown...so that the Crown can plumb the
depths. And each Crown can only decide on what is sent them...since the
award recommendations are not usually carried from reign to reign...

I can't imagine the amount of mail they get and how at times they sort it
all out...and actually compile the stuff to the point they are able to
figure out one to five events worth of awards every week...especially on
top of all the travel that is expected of them...and being in a fishbowl
and having to deal with problems...and all the while smile and be congenial
no matter how they feel...or what kind of stupidity they witness...

Lorraine DeerSlayer