[Ansteorra] Award recommendations

Harris Mark.S-rsve60 Mark.s.Harris at motorola.com
Fri Aug 30 13:04:47 PDT 2002

Lorraine DeerSlayer replied to me with:
> I suggest that you remember that there are no requirements
> for those entering Crown except that they must have a year
> residency and have had the equivalent of a year in an office...
> (and the ability to financially support themselves)
> there is no skill level required involving handling paperwork,
> conflict resolution, or file mantaining abilities...there is no
> manual.

Yes. I am aware of this situation. On the otherhand, I'm not
sure I'd support more extensive requirements.

> Each pair has to figure out for themselves their own criteria
> figure out how to handle the paperwork...figure out what to
> throw away and what to keep, and how to put together a system
> so that they can award people what they can determine the people
> deserve at the times suggested by the recommendations...
>
> This is on top of all the other stuff we require a Crown to do...
> an we all expect this from the get go from Crowns new and recurring
> with only 3 months to kindof get the hang of it...so that they can
> live in a fishbowl for 6...

Yes, the incoming Crowns often have a lot to worry about and to
come up to speed on. Not to mention a bunch of people wanting
a lot of things from them suddenly and a lot of new "friends"
suddenly appearing.

Again, I don't know that I'd support more requirements and
restrictions tying the Crowns down. They should be the
ultimate authorities on how they want things handled during
their reigns. However, that doesn't mean they shouldn't be
able to learn from the experiences of their predecessors. And
I mean going back several reigns not just the previous one.
I would have hoped that there wss some kind of guidebook or
recommendations that would be handed down from one Crown to
the next, with each Crown adding their insights to the others.

> I suggest that all those who enter Crown Tournament think about
> this before they enter...If you are not willing to tackle the
> paperwork and make hard decisions...do the kingdom a favour
> fight any other high profile tourney...but don't fight for Crown...!

I agree with this. But sometimes it is hard for the aspiring
fighter to be aware of this situation or to see what being
Crown means behind the glamorous, showy part.

I am of course, limited to what has been said publically, but
when I do see such tidbits I often add them to this file in
the Florilegium, so that perhaps incoming Crowns might know
some of what to expect or fighters thinking about entering
Crown have an idea of what they might be getting into.

crown-cost-msg    (24K)  4/20/00    The monetary and other costs of being a
                                       crown in the SCA.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/SCA-INC/crown-cost-msg.html

Of course, if any past Crowns would like to add their comments to this, I'd
love to have them. Or perhaps an article?

THLord Stefan li Rous
stefan at florilegium.org