[Ansteorra] Award recommendations

Harris Mark.S-rsve60 Mark.s.Harris at motorola.com
Fri Aug 30 17:00:33 PDT 2002

Countess Margaret ny Connor replied to my questions with:
> > However, that doesn't mean they shouldn't be
> > able to learn from the experiences of their
> > predecessors. And I mean going back several reigns
> > not just the previous one.  I would have hoped that
> > there was some kind of guidebook or
> > recommendations that would be handed down from one
> > Crown to the next, with each Crown adding their
> > insights to the others.
>
> It would be wonderful indeed if the Crown had
> something material "passed on" to them when the became
> the Heirs.  Unfortunately, it is very difficult to keep
> such a system going because, as I think Lorraine pointed
> out, there are no requirements for organizational skills
> before one can enter Crown.
>
> When I was Queen in the East, there was such a system in
> place, and my King and I received files from previous
> reigns that were very helpful.  We passed those, along
> with additions from our reign, on to our Heirs.
> However, all it takes is a reign or two of folks who
> simply aren't organized people to pretty much destroy
> such continuity.  Thus, the Crown is very
> often "starting from scratch" again and again.

Well, we now have a kingdom server. Perhaps this Crown log/
recommendations/"things learned the hard way" could be
kept there. Probably under such permissions that only the
Crown could read it. Then there might be less chance of it
getting lost in the paperwork shuffle that happens between
reigns and if one Crown decided not to do anything with it,
it would unless the Crown intentionally distroyed it, be
there for their successors.

And/or a more public version could be kept which might
give any perspective Crowns a chance to see what they
might be getting into, before they entered Crown Tournament.

> Be persistent in your award recommendations, especially
> to new Crowns.  Because we're all human, and some people
> are less organized than others, never assume that the
> wonderfully eloquent recommendation you wrote and sent
> to Their Majesties X was passed on to Their New
> Majesties Y.  Keep a copy (electonic or otherwise) and
> send it again if the award is not given.  I know it's
> kind of a pain, but, well, I guess that's just life in
> the SCA!  :-)

A good idea, but when does this become nagging?  What if
the Crown has some knowledge that the letter writer doesn't
that would disqualify the candidate for some award? Would not
sending in this recommendation then be perceived as bothering
the Crown or wasting their time? If the recommendation letters
ARE often getting passed on from one reign to the next would
be then not be making the paperwork problem worse?

Just a few comments. I'd really rather make the task of
being Crown easier not more complicated. I'm sure it already
feels like climbing on to a runaway cart.

THL Stefan li Rous
stefan at texas.net