[Ansteorra] The Texas Renaissance Festival Demo

Paul Gilbert niklas at pbgilbert.net
Wed Dec 4 17:01:20 PST 2002

Hi.....

The bottom line why the relationship between the TRF and the SCA has ended
is a two fold issue.

First of all and whether anyone wants to admit it or not......

"Follow the money.........."

It leads you right to what they can do with the area that was the SCA compound.

That area can be made into several booths or a shopping alley or something
and generate significant revenue for TRF and George's pocket.

TRF and its owner(s) are not in this for their health or giggles. They are
here to make money and have 7 weeks each year to do it in. They have to get
the biggest bang for the buck and where they spend it or in our
case...generate it.

It has been a progression over the past few years that the regulations for
appearance of the SCA folks and particpants have been getting tougher ( and
before anyone says anything, yes they expect the same of SCA as they do
their PAID actors) and the loss of the mound area and cutting back of the
expected performances has been a signal that the SCA was being phased out.

Well, the final phase has been implemented.

The second issue has been the "differences" between the two styles and
organizations. However, this was and is now the political correct "reason"
for which the SCA has been   released from its participation at TRF. The
issues of appearance, participation etc, are just smoke to make everyone
think that TRF is benevolent and not greedy.

I bear no ill to TRF for their decisions.

I too saw this coming several years ago with the changes of policies,
styles, themes and such of the TRF and figured the SCA's efforts could be
better tasked in other areas. Now we need to find demos to adults and
persons that have control of what they can do for a hobby. These kinds of
things include demos at colleges, fairs, festivals, and other places that
we would get proper exposure.

It's business folks..... just straight and pure business....follow the
money.....

In Service to the Kingdom, Barony and SCA....

HE Niklas Vasilevich
Baron of Raven's Fort

At 04:11 PM 12/4/02 -0800, you wrote:
>I'm going to have to disagree with this statement:
>
>--- Baronman at aol.com wrote:
> > It's not the SCA, it's the lost revenue.
>
>I personally feel that it's a difference in stylistic
>approach between the two groups. I don't feel that
>either approach is bad...just different from each
>other. Sitting in front of me right now is a copy of
>the 2002 TRF Participant's Handbook, and here is a bit
>of a quote from it that I think illustrates one of the
>main differences in approach that we have from the
>rest of the participants:
>
>"Our [the TRF Participants'] goal is to give the
>appearance of being of the period in a way that
>appeals to our patrons, and allows us to complete our
>faire day's tasks. The basic things that can be
>portrayed are:
>*The clothing
>*A modified version of the language and speech
>patterns
>*The daily activities
>*The mannerisms and customs
>*The superstitions
>*The likes and dislikes"
>
> From what I have seen in the SCA, I don't think that
>our approach to re-creating the Middle Ages coincides
>with this statement.
>
>Cahira
>(If you disagree, please feel free to contradict me; I
>am merely stating my opinion based on what I've seen
>in the SCA and read in the TRF Participant's Handbook)

                 Data Marketing Associates, Inc.  |  Houston, Texas
                         pgilbert at datamktg.com  |  281-579-2995
                                        www.datamktg.com
Paul Gilbert,   KE5ZW                   H.E. Niklas Vasilevich,
Huntsville, Texas                       Baron of The Barony Raven's Fort
niklas at pbgilbert.net                    CSM, Crane, ORH, KGA , AoA
936-291-9532 home                               Kingdom of Ansteorra
936-581-5632 cellular                           Society for Creative
Anachronism
                               AIM Name: KE5ZW