[Ansteorra] Branch Champions responsibilities and privileges

Brian Martin BMartin at Corp.Prodigy.com
Wed Jan 23 09:19:01 PST 2002

I think of Baronial Champions as exactly that.  The Champion for the Barony
in that particular area.  They are there to serve and protect the Honor of
the Barony both on the field of their endeavor and off.  That would mean
that there is a responsibility of the Champion to represent the Nobility,
Peers, and the People of the Barony in in Lists, Competitions, and public
events.  So a Baronial Champion at Arms (Chivalric, Rapier, or Archery)
would not only be representing themselves in the list, but also the Barony
that they are Champion of.  In some Kingdoms, they actually carry the
"Baronial Shield" charged with the Barony's armory in the Lists or into
battle.  For Rapier fighters, it might be a cape with the Baronial armory or
the "Baronial Rapier" (usually a very nice "to die for" item).  Normally
they also carried the favor of the Baroness upon their left (or shield) arm.
If the Baron was a fighting man, the Champion would always fight beside his
Baron on the field of battle unless the Baron gave him leave for other
responsibilities.  The Champion would also organize the Baronial fighting
unit for Wars and the running of the lists/competition that would find his
successor in a year.

>> While I love sharing the field with my champion, that could be a bit
sticky for someone who is the champion of more than one
>> barony. I believe that Jehanne and I  share a common chivalric champion
with Ravensfort and Elfsea. That fine individual being
>> HE Sir Timo. Perhaps we can come up with some sort of time share
arrangement for Timo. Just a thought.

Pendaran