[Ansteorra] WATER & GATORADE

Chris Zakes moondrgn at austin.rr.com
Tue Jul 16 14:11:50 PDT 2002

At 03:40 PM 7/16/02 -0500, you wrote:
>Greeting From Alina:
>
>Stupid question but I'll ask anyway.
>
>Why gatorade?
>
>Those in the know and those with opinions on it, please answer. Of all
>the times I tasted the gatorade at events it always taste awful and
>stuck with drinking water instead. I was told the past that gatorade
>never tastes good when you don't need it.
>
>Do the fighters actually like and/or prefer it?
>
>Or is it just a stable offering along with the water at events?

Gatorade (or similar "sport drinks") are supposed to help replace the
electrolytes lost through sweat. If you're sweating a lot, such as when
fighting in a summer tourney, replacing those electrolytes may mean the
difference between simply being hot and being dehydrated. That's the theory
anyway.

Does it work?  I'd guess that like most biological things it works better
for some people than for others. Personally I like Gatorade and if a
waterbearer has both, I'll drink it first. If water is all that's available
I'll drink that; I haven't noticed any problems if I *don't have Gatorade.

	-Tivar Moondragon