[Ansteorra] Marshalling at FP (was: Cancelled fighter practices...)

Paul DeLisle ferret at hot.rr.com
Sat Jul 27 08:58:41 PDT 2002

> > > This came up in the waiver discussion at Round Table last
> > > weekend.  If a fighter practice is published and no
> > > marshal is present, then the practice is *canceled*.
> > > You can't just declare it "unofficial."

> > How do you prevent people in a public park from fighting each
> > other, especially without any officers present?

> Or even better, how does the lone officer who happens to be there,
> say the MOC stop them from fighting?

This is a simple (okay, maybe not-so-simple) case of legality. If Lorelei
ChildBeater (the MOC) is the only officer present at a fighter practice,
then *she* is still the legally responsible representative of the SCA, Inc.
Now, as to the question "How do you stop these two armored tanks?"; there
are a couple of things to remember:

	As I understand Corpura and Kingdom Law, what is required to fight (at an
official fighter practice) is an *Authorized* Marshal; *not* the Local
Marshal (for Rapier, this would be someone with the "R.C. Marshal" box on
their card checked; for Heavy, someone with the "AC Inspecting Marshal" box
checked.)
In fact, Kingdom Law specifies the presence of an "Authorized Marshal"
(Ansteorran Marshal's Handbook, Rapier Combat Rules, section 4.1.A.1 (The
Armored section makes no mention of Fighter Practice at all, that I could
find.)
There is also (in my mind) a question as to the term "Warranting" (see the
Society Marshal's Handbook, section 3.A.1.a) My Combat Authorization card
was issued by the Kingdom Rapier Marshal, and the Kingdom Earl Marshal
(actually them, in my case...but a duly authorized deputy, in most.) So to
me, that's the equivilent of a "Warrant" to perform the duties listed on
that card...no?
(BTW...i'm awaiting an actual clarification/confirmation here...from the
OfficialKingdomTypes[tm]...)
If my premise is correct, most moderately experienced fighters will have
these authorizations. So, the concern *may* be unnecessary in most cases.

	However (comma) if there *isn't* an Authorized Marshal (of whatever flavor
and level required) present, It's very simple. The Lovely Lady Lorelei goes
up to the fighters, and sweetly-and-sadly says: "Gentlemen, (yes, that's an
assumption, live with it *G*) our Knight's (Rapier, etc) Marshal isn't
present. Are either of you Authorized Marshals? No?....*sigh*...I'm sorry,
but without an Authorized Marshal present, we can't legally allow fighting
here."

Now, that *should* be the end of it (if the individuals are
gentlemen/ladies.) If not, the legal requirement (as I see it) is to
distance onesself (or group) from the illegal activity. This could require
asking the fighters to go do whatever they are doing "over there" (a
significant distance away.) Or, if they are *truly* human rubbish, and
refuse to move; having the group move away from them.
The officer in question is also responsible for informing the fighters that
they are now "on their own", and *not* fighting under SCA sanctions; *and*
for informing the Local Marshal at the earliest opportunity of the situation
(preferably in writing, with names), so that the Marshal in question can
make a report to *his* superiors, and  (hopefully) deal with the problem
locally. If there is any "physical" trouble, deal with it the same way you
would a drunk picknicker in the park: refer it to the local authorities.

There. All nice and neat.

In Service, I remain
Alden Pharamond
Tempio, Ansteorra