[Ansteorra] Marshalling at FP (was: Cancelled fighter practices...)

Michael Smith morganbuchanan at hotmail.com
Sat Jul 27 17:44:18 PDT 2002

Hm.  Now, please understand that I'm not suggesting I think it's a good idea
to fight without marshalls.  I do not think it's a good idea.

However, I don't see how anyone in the SCA thinks they have the authority to
tell someone they can't do what they want to do in a public park.  Everyone
keeps saying "We can't tell you want to do in your own back yard."  Well,
frankly, you can't tell someone what they can do in a public park either.

Feel free to make suggestions.  Feel free to say "Official practice is
cancelled.  You may not use the baronial/shire loaner equipment of any kind.
  Since we have no qualified marshalls present, it's official SCA policy to
advise you that if you fight, you are not fighing at this time as members of
the SCA.  You are funny dressed goobers with sticks.  If anyone asks, do not
talk about the SCA because you're not doing an SCA activity."  But I can't
see how you can POSSIBLY think you have any more authority to TELL someone
they can't fight in a public park than in their own back yard.  The fact
that your local group uses the same patch of grass in a park every weekend
doesn't give anyone in the SCA any authority over it.

Feel free to tell people who run "unofficial" practices that if they don't
waver check they are not allowed to even suggest to bystanders that they are
SCA members.  This would at least be a consistant rule.

I don't think this is a matter of honor.  This is a matter of understanding
the mundane legality issues.

Yours in Service,
Lord Morgan Buchanan