[Ansteorra] Laurels Prize Tourney date

C. L. Ward gunnora at vikinganswerlady.org
Thu Jul 4 06:39:51 PDT 2002

Gwyenth said:
>I like to think I'm pretty flexible and if the Laurels
>wanted to announce to all the artisans to show up at,
>say, Crown Tourney with all their projects to receive
>feedback, I'd certainly do that, but I know as a judge
>that it is much easier to do justice to a piece under
>the controlled conditions you find only at an inside
>event.

I like to think that the Laurels can be somewhat flexible, too.  It is
*always* possible to ask one or more of us to give feedback on projects
outsides of A&S event purviews as well.

Some of my best event moments since being made a Laurel are times when I've
been able to sit with artisans discussing the philosophy and art of writing
research papers, or various topics concerned with the Viking Age.  I'm
always available to talk about these, or any other art in which I have
enough knowledge to be of any use.  Or general philosophy of the Laurellate,
A&S competitions, judging, or whatever.

I didn't become a Laurel because I wanted to be a full-time bureaucrat and
judge.  It happened because I was a committed artisan and loved the work I
was doing, and had showed a willingness and enthusiasm for teaching.  I
think the various Laurels all love our many and varied arts, and like any
artist anywhere we'd *love* to talk about them, and most especially in
surroundings where we don't have to run off and judge anywhere from 5 to 15
items in one short day, while standing on tired feet on hard concrete
floors.

Gwyenth, I confess I don't know what arts you practice, and that's my
fault - because of my work constraints I haven't been able to travel as
extensively as I'd like.  But if you want some Laurel feedback on your arts,
let some of us know and we can help you figure out which Laurels practice
similar art forms, communicate to you which events we'll be at, and we can
meet with you one-on-one then!  And that goes for other artisans as well.

The excitement and love of the arts shouldn't have to be limited to an "A&S
ghetto".  We can bring 'em out and have fun with them other times as well!

::GUNNVOR::