[Ansteorra] Things to think about....

DonnelShaw at aol.com DonnelShaw at aol.com
Thu Jul 25 06:17:43 PDT 2002

In a message dated 7/25/02 7:52:53 AM Central Daylight Time,
morganbuchanan at hotmail.com writes:

> Lord Morgan Buchanan
>
> The real world honors those who "did it right" who where in positions of
> power by naming building, streets, cities, and museums after people when
> they're gone.  We
> erect monuments to them.

This is not totally true. There are many people who do the right thing and
never get anything named after them. First I want you to think about the
people in your family that have helped you grow and learn. Then I want you to
think about the teachers (all) you have had. Are there any places named for
them? If you can read and write they did have a positive impact. I will not
say all did but there has to be some that did.  So recognition does not
always equal doing it right.  Just that someone noticed and wants to make a
big deal about it.

> So, in the SCA, we get a feeling of satisfaction that we're doing our thing
> right when we get an award.  It's positive feedback from our friends and
> those we look up to that they enjoy playing this game with us

One of the people I look up to in the SCA is Gunnar of the Many Names.  He
was a founding member of Elfsea. He worked very hard at every event. He
didn't have a lot of money but every event I saw him at he was toting things
for ladies. Setting up others tents. He would also take great joy in buying
Tyler Roses and presenting one at a time to ladies around the event. Or he
would get a bag of Kisses and ask if we would like a kiss bow put his hand
out and open a hand. There sitting in that open hand was the kiss. There were
ladies fighting over who would get to sew for him next.

I do not think he has any award except one I can remember. Except one.
One of the three founders of the Order of the Ant of Elfsea.

So the point is that Awards and recognition does not always equal great
works. Open your eyes and look around you at events. Make a list then look at
it later. You might find some surprises.