[Ansteorra] Awards and Manners Was--> Things to think about....

Tausha Walker celeste_namron at post.com
Thu Jul 25 09:32:41 PDT 2002

Greetings.

I've been doing much the same. Just kind of sitting here watching to see where the thread will lead. I don't normally comment anymore because I always manage to land myself in trouble or in the middle of something. :-) However, :-) , having read through most of the other messages, I do wish to comment on this.

I am much the same way as you are. I work my rear end off at almost every event I go to. I herald, waterbear, list mistress, or whatever I can find to do. However, I don't do it because I may get an award or because I expect a "Thank You". I do those things because I enjoy doing them and it represents an aspect of the Dream for me. I used to expect that "Thank you" but I came to realize that it's not always forthcoming. That used to hurt. What I finally came to realize ... and believe me, it took a while ... is that people don't always say Thank you. It's not because they don't appreciate what you've done or because they're being rude. Sometimes they forget to tell you because they've gotten distracted with something else. Sometimes it's not the people in charge that will tell you thanks but other participants. Sometimes they show you their thanks instead of telling you. A lot of times, they mean to thank you when they get a chance but they can't find you. There have been many times when an autocrat, a marshall, a Baron/ess, or someone else has found me at the end of an event and told me Thank you. No, Largesse giving isn't dead. I get Largesse all the time.

Believe me ... your work is appreciated by all of us. Another thing I've learned is that there is always someone watching. I know this because I now have a Sable Crane and a Sable Thistle. It made me a little nervous at first but I just went back to the root of why I do all these things ... I just plain love doing them.

If you see someone in need and you go help them and they forget to say Thank you, it's not that they don't appreciate it. Maybe they have their minds on the rest of what they have to accomplish. They may find you later. Don't go off upset because they didn't say it. They may show it later on.

Another thing ... if you have something that you have to accomplish, don't stop and help someone else. It'll frustrate you if you're only helping because you think it's the right thing to do.

I know a lot of people who have quit over the years because they didn't feel appreciated, or because they didn't get an award. I think that is wrong. Do things because you love them. Play this game because you love it. Help people because you want to. Not because you expect something in return or because it's the "right thing to do". If I've learned one major philosophy out of this game it's got to be "Never expect anything. You won't get it."

Lady Celeste