[Ansteorra] Re: Non-member surcharge

Susan catmafia at swbell.net
Thu Jul 25 21:40:25 PDT 2002

::GUNNVOR:: wrote:
>In the past I've gotten a big discount when I attended the symphony, because
>I had previously joined the Symphony Assosiation.  I've gotten discounts on
>hotel rooms while travelling to events because I am a paid member of Triple
>A.  If the SCA charges a little less to paid members, then it's the same
>type of thing, and it goes on in Real Life (TM) every single day all around
>you, so why get all hot and sweaty over it?

This reminds me of the statement, it's all in how you say something.  If
they state that you get a $3 discount for being a member, it comes across
entirly differently than saying you pay a $3 penalty for not having a
membership.

>Frankly, I can decide to go to one less event each year, and the savings
>from that finances the membership.  Or I can give up a couple of pizzas and
>accomplish the same thing.  Paying the membership fee is not that big of a
>hardship - if I can afford to go to one event, pay gate, pay for either
>feast or groceries and pay for gas, then I can, if desired, scrape up enough
>to pay the membership fee.  If I'm too broke to pay for my membership, then
>by golly I am too broke to attend events at all, which makes the whole point
>moot.  *shrug*

I would have to agree with you.  Other points to consider, why buy a
membership before knowing what it is and if you want to be doing it and for
families with more than one person playing.  I had little reason to sign my
kids up other than if they were attending alot of events and then it was to
save paperwork.

The release statement they have you sign on the membership form states that
their insurance doesn't cover damage to you or your property.  So the
insurance they are talking about is reguarding only anything that happens
to the facility that they are using?  I find it hard to believe that there
is a need to send them more money, if they aren't providing something for
it; expecially in a group that has long stressed that paid membership isn't
a necessity for participation and membership.  If it actually included
insurance coverage that would be a difference.  In our participation in
Girl Scouting the national dues were $7 and included insurance and in 4-H
it is an additional $3 for insurance coverage.  What exactly does the
insurance they are talking about covering, the site from damages, correct?

Trying to see what the issues are, as this is our first time the pay to
play issue.  In the past, how much did the membership drop when they did
these pushes?

Susan