[Ansteorra] Gifts vs Awards...

R Starkey rstarkey at camalott.com
Fri Jul 26 11:35:16 PDT 2002

Hi.  Am new to the Ansteorra list, please forgive me for jumping right in on
this, since i have not read any of the previous posts.
 I would stay in the SCA if I were to never get another award.  In fact, I
had a long dry spell of no awards, as my mundane and sca life were not
exactly jiving, and i would be moved to another place before i got to know
too many folks and the like.  Have not let my membership or interest in the
SCA lapse, tho.  It was very enjoyable to be able to move to a new place,
and still have the SCA available there - even in Korea. (retired military, I
am, didja guess).
 I do like the awards.  I like to see other people getting them for their
efforts.  I like to see the recognition for jobs well done.  I like the
pagentry that goes with them.  Do I mind that I'm not a triple peer with
dozens of crowns/coronets/ badges to go with them?  Not a bit.  I really
like you guys (well, most, anyway<G>), and while the awards are nice to
have, they aren't necessary for me personally to recieve.  But they are
necessary for me to see other people getting them.  I like the joy and the
tears and the surprise.  And the cheers and vivats from the peanut gallery
when they are announced.

Ryah