[Ansteorra] Gifts vs Awards...

Jane Sitton lymadelina at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 29 08:36:46 PDT 2002

> If you knew you would never got another award...
> why would you stay in the SCA?
>
> Lorraine Deerslayer

I didn't join to get awards in the first place.  If I
wanted awards, I'd join something I would be more
likely to get awards for.  I play and I'd stay because
I enjoy being around most people in the SCA.  The
fellowship of people with open minds is itself a
reward.  It seems to me that the number of people who
are above average in intelligence and accepting of
differences in others is higher in the SCA than in
some other groups I could join.

I would stay because for one, I don't expect any
awards in the first place.  When I got my AoA (after
playing on and off, mostly off, for ten years), I was
started because I was busy not paying attention to
court, barefooted, and the garb I was wearing was not
as clean or nice as it could be.

I play because I have an opportunity to be around
people I enjoy and be "the real me".  People out in
the real world look at me funny when I sing period
music, especially bawdy songs.

I suspect many others in the SCA play for one of the
reasons I do:  I feel out of place in the modern
world.

Amicalement,
Ly Madelina de Lindesaya

Loch Ruadh ROCKS!!