[Ansteorra] Guardian of the Tor Feast

Michael Gunter countgunthar at hotmail.com
Thu Jun 6 08:21:27 PDT 2002

>You do not want to miss this. The
>meal will be scrumptious. Plus...no cooking for you
>Saturday night.
>
>If you have any questions please check out our Website
>/http://dragonsfire-tor.ansteorra.org/

Please forgive me for being a bit nit-picky here but I
do have one quibble with the website and the feast. The
website states that the feast will be what Nobles in that
time ate but, upon reviewing the menu, there were very
few things on there that would be familiar with someone
in period. The smoked meat (maybe, although brisket was
not generally smoked in such a fashion), the breads and
lemonade could be somewhat familiar but Ranch Beans, potatoes,
coffee and tea would be totally unfamiliar. Shoot, the
nobility tried to avoid drinking water as much as possible.

Now, please don't get me wrong, I think the feast looks very
tasty and wonderful. But please don't state that it is remotely
period or a taste of what they ate. There are a ton of sources
in books and the internet with translations of real period
recipes and period food is very good when prepared correctly.
But stating that something is period and then serving smoked
brisket, Ranch beans, potatoes, coffee, tea and such is similar
to saying you are serving an Italian feast and then having
burritos, tamales, fried chicken and mom's apple pie. Some of
it could be familiar to an Italian but it is a totally different
cuisine.

If any of the cooks of the Tor would like some easy period recipes
I will be happy to provide some or direct you to the wealth of
information on available on the internet.

I'm honestly not knocking the food or the cooks (or even the website
for that matter)it's just that there are so many misconceptions
of period food out there that we need to show folks what things were
really like. This is a learning organization after all and I would
be happy to help. Or you could contact some of the wonderful cooks
who enjoy period cuisine in the Kingdom. Mistress Clarissa, Mistress
Meadbh, HL Stefan li Rous, HL Gwennyth, Baroness Alys, and tons
of others are excellent sources of information and instruction.

>Janie of Dragonsfire Tor

Yours truly,

Gunthar
(I'm not a period nazi! I'm NOT, I'm NOT, I'm NOT!!!!!)