[Ansteorra] Fw: Happy New Year A.S. 36

Theron Bretz tbretz at montroseclinic.org
Wed May 1 07:23:34 PDT 2002

> Thought you all would like to know, today seems to be the 36th anniversary
> of the SCA coming into being. :)
>
> How about some really cool stories of the beginning of our time?

Well, the "first tournament" was won by a guy with a fencing mask and epee
(whose "medieval name" translated to "German Student Union"), but that
little tidbit of nformation tends to be overlooked in the stories.   Odd,
that. :-)

Actually, I remember one story that was told to me at 25th year, regarding
armour in the early days of the Society.  Someone out in the West found a
letter from one of the early knights to another thanking him for the loan of
the helmet, but that he'd be returning it as he'd recently acquired one that
protected both his face and the back of his head.

Luciano