[Ansteorra] Bringing new people

Lady Littlefox jinx at cowboy.net
Wed May 1 17:39:00 PDT 2002

Just a few thoughts I gathered from my short stint as hospitaler.
1) Only donate that which you plan on never seeing again.
2) Only give to the very new garb that is just good enough to get by.

The garb making classes are a great idea and I might point out with summer
fast approaching, Wal-Marts all over the place are having their $1 a yard
sales on fabric.

Also another idea that might be of use to some.... 8 to 10 identical
tabards. Something akin to what servers wear on occasion. Made en mass they
aren't that difficult, one evening with two or three sewing machines and
half a dozen people and you're all set.  The Shire/Barony/Whatever's Device
on the front, and they won't wander off as fast, and it's an excellent way
to clothe your newbies, but at the same time put the huge 'I'M A NEWBIE
PLEASE HELP ME' sign over their head.  Anyone seen in the tabard will
instantly be identified as a newbie from your group who is learning the
ropes.

My comment about just good enough to get by.  You don't want to give a
newbie something that will dress them better than the old timers unless this
newbie happens to be a close personal friend.  In what little experience I
have on the matter, you want them to fit in, but feel something... how
should I put this and not be tacky..... feel something ashamed of having to
wear stuff from the loaner box.  Again, just good enough to get by, but just
BAD enough to encourage them to show up to the next garb making session with
a box load of fabric and a desire to actually be presentable rather than
relying on being clothed by the good will of the populous. (Though the five
mile visibility jester outfit is going a bit too far ;))

Lady Littlefox
Apprentice to the Late Baron Blackfox
(Yep I'm back!!!! Well sorta. ;))