[Ansteorra] Bringing new people

Robin Craig aceiatx at yahoo.com
Thu May 2 11:39:16 PDT 2002

Yes, I have seen lots of 'nice' garb donated and never seen again.  My theory,
people decide not to join and never come back, thus never returning the garb,
or they decide to keep it for their trip to the ren fest or halloween.

Personally, I had a potential new member ask to borrow garb for a specific
event.  luckily I got his parent's phone number on my caller ID.   Not only did
he not show up for the event.  But he never showed up again to the SCA.  After
6 weeks I called his father who quickly collected the garments from his son and
personally delivered them back to me telling me that  his son had fun at the
renfest.

 I think most 'mundanes' do not realize the time and expense put into these
garments.

-Robin Anderson of Ross

--- Lady Littlefox <jinx at cowboy.net> wrote:
> Just a few thoughts I gathered from my short stint as hospitaler.
> 1) Only donate that which you plan on never seeing again.
> 2) Only give to the very new garb that is just good enough to get by.
>
> The garb making classes are a great idea and I might point out with summer
> fast approaching, Wal-Marts all over the place are having their $1 a yard
> sales on fabric.
>
> Also another idea that might be of use to some.... 8 to 10 identical
> tabards. Something akin to what servers wear on occasion. Made en mass they
> aren't that difficult, one evening with two or three sewing machines and
> half a dozen people and you're all set.  The Shire/Barony/Whatever's Device
> on the front, and they won't wander off as fast, and it's an excellent way
> to clothe your newbies, but at the same time put the huge 'I'M A NEWBIE
> PLEASE HELP ME' sign over their head.  Anyone seen in the tabard will
> instantly be identified as a newbie from your group who is learning the
> ropes.
>
> My comment about just good enough to get by.  You don't want to give a
> newbie something that will dress them better than the old timers unless this
> newbie happens to be a close personal friend.  In what little experience I
> have on the matter, you want them to fit in, but feel something... how
> should I put this and not be tacky..... feel something ashamed of having to
> wear stuff from the loaner box.  Again, just good enough to get by, but just
> BAD enough to encourage them to show up to the next garb making session with
> a box load of fabric and a desire to actually be presentable rather than
> relying on being clothed by the good will of the populous. (Though the five
> mile visibility jester outfit is going a bit too far ;))
>
> Lady Littlefox
> Apprentice to the Late Baron Blackfox
> (Yep I'm back!!!! Well sorta. ;))

=====
Robin Craig

+++My name is NOT Glenda and I am NOT a good witch!

rcraig at mac.com (work)
aceia at mac.com (personal)
http://homepage.mac.com/aceia/