[Ansteorra] Period Religious Jewelery

Tessa Nieto eleanor_cleavely at yahoo.com
Fri May 3 21:34:10 PDT 2002

 Well, speaking from a Tudor standpoint, my persona would not have ventured out wearing anything but a cross, though she is of pagan origins. Why bother with such a thing when outside Bloody Mary, our "gracious Queen", is burning those who believe in God but are members of the Protestant faith? My persona would have floated with the religious tide in order to save her own neck.

However, in these current middle ages, I wear a Celtic knot of a woman (which I tell people at work) which is a goddess symbol. It is ambiguous enough so that it is not overtly pagan. I wear it to SCA events as well. That way, it does not offend those who are not of the pagan faith and those who are pagan recognize it for what it is.

Just my 2 shillings worth.
Eleanor Cleavely
  L T <ldeerslayer at yahoo.com> wrote: --

I know that the pentagram most Wiccans/Pagans wear was a Christian emblem in period...(Sir Gawain...I believe... carried it on his shield as a symbol of his dedication to the Christian God)

So what would be period appropriate jewelery for non-christians?

Lorraine DeerSlayer

- - - Gustave Flaubert, Madame Bovary