[Ansteorra] Period Religious Jewelery

karen moon karenmoon at msn.com
Sun May 5 21:14:55 PDT 2002

Lorraine, are you asking if there was period religious jewelry for Celtic, Fairy & Eclectic Wiccans?  If so, I'm seeing kind of a conundrum here -- while paganism is certainly period, neo-paganism is not.  While certain aspects and ceremonies of the above mentioned faiths may have been adapted from period pagan religious practices, all the research I've done suggests the faiths themselves are not.  Thus, it's kinda hard to suggest a period alternative.

If your friends are interested in the pagan religions of ancient Celts -- and I use that term loosely since historians & scholars are now debating whether Celts/Celtic is even a valid descriptive -- I'll check my books and notes and see what suggestions I can come up with.  Off the top of my head, I can't think of any jewelry that would be considered specifically religious for the pre-Christian Atlantic Celts.  There are artifacts which scholars *think* may be religious in use or nature -- the thin metal "masks" found at Bath, England and possibly related to the worship of Sulis Minerva come to mind -- but they aren't necessarily the sort of thing one just wears around like a pentacle or a cross or a star of David.

If you want me to see what I can dig up, please write me privately and I'll let you know what I find.

Mari ferch Rathyen