[Ansteorra] A thought about why people leave for feast... oth er than the ...

Harris Mark.S-rsve60 Mark.s.Harris at motorola.com
Mon May 6 12:16:35 PDT 2002

Lady Susannah Blackthorne said:
> Forgive me, but I don't understand. In MiddleKingdom, when I
> was exiled
> there, we always had Above the board and below the board
> seating at a feast.
> They were shown the same hospitality as those paying feast,
> and we served
> them drinks. I fail to understand where the hospitality went.

But those "Above board" and "Below board" seatings were not
mixed together, correct? So you couldn't sit with your
friends if some had paid for feast and you hadn't.

The drinks are a nice touch and something that can be paid
for out of the gate fees rather than the feast fees.

Why is the Ansteorran tradition of allowing paid and
non-paying feasters to eat together, even though it
is a major inconvenience to the headcook and servers,
less hospitalble?

Or are you talking about some inhospitality that has little
connection to whether the non-paying feasters can dine in
the same hall as the ones who paid for the feast?

Stefan li Rous
stefan at texas.net