[Ansteorra] Grammar

Paul DeLisle ferret at hot.rr.com
Mon May 13 18:48:17 PDT 2002

> >"Glowed" in both cases (unless you prefer passive voice, in
> which case "did glow" could be used.)
> >Alden
>
> Is there a point in time when the passive voice was used more regularly?
> have a habit of doing it regularly and as you brought it up, thought it
> might be an interesting time to ask.

Yes. It was considered the default form for directives, rules and
regulations as late as the '70's. Starting in the mid-80's, however, it was
determined by grammarians that, if they could, writers should use a more
active voice. ("In the mid-80's, grammarians determined that writers should
use a more active voice if they could." *G*)

> Also to those who love the study of grammar.  We homeschool and
> I have used 'The Deluxe Transitive Vampire' for the girls to
> use as a good overview of grammar.  Do you have any other
> recommendations.
> Susan

*blink*...I need more sleep....the first two times I read that, I read "The
Deluxe Transvestite Vampire" (*really* scary!)
I'm afraid I'm not familiar with the work, though...But any good written
work can be used as a grammar primer.

Alden