[Ansteorra] Ancient Roman Transvestite

Jane Sitton lymadelina at yahoo.com
Mon May 27 18:58:54 PDT 2002

I am reminded of a satirical article in Games magazine
from back in the 80's, where archaeologists of the
future do just that when discovering a motel.  MOVIEA
and MOVIEB, they decide, were the gods, and the t.v.
set was the shrine.

One wonders what archaeologists of the future would
think upon finding the remains of a SCAdian with say,
dental work or some other sign of the 20th century,
yet clothing or jewelry or some other momento
portraying an earlier period.

Then there is the story Logan the smith is fond of
telling:  Rolf the Red went on a dig once with some
archaeologists who discovered an iron trove.  Amidst
the hoard of bits and pieces of iron, they found an
oddly twisted bar, to which they could assign no
meaning.  Rolf came over to investigate, and started
laughing.  It was a portable hole.  The next time he
saw Logan, he said, "dang, man, I knew you'd been
making them a long time, but 1000 years??"

Sometimes all one can do is guess.

Madelina de Lindesaya