[Ansteorra] Question 11/11

iainmacc at juno.com iainmacc at juno.com
Tue Nov 12 05:15:33 PST 2002

On Mon, 11 Nov 2002 16:01:42 -0800 (PST) L T <ldeerslayer at yahoo.com>
writes:
> --
>
> To you, are your actions and personna in the SCA separate from your
> everyday existence. Meaning do you hold a different standard of
> behaviour and interaction in the SCA than you do with people in
> other parts of your life?

        In most ways, no. After 19 years, the main reason I am still in
the SCA is because is allows me to be around people to whom honor
matters. I find this to be depressingly rare in the mundane world. I
don't know, perhaps I'm looking in the wrong places. But as a child I was
taught that you shouldn't lie, cheat or steal. Then I grew up and found
that many (I'm tempted to say most) people subconsciously add to
themselves, "yeah, but it's okay to lie to your kids, and it's okay to
cheat your customers, and it's okay to steal from the government." Sorry,
I believe that if something is wrong, it's wrong all the time, not just
when it's convenient.
        The SCA is the only group I have ever been in where I haven't
felt like a freak for believing that.

        That being said... While my values don't change according to who
I am around, my behavior does somewhat. "Rudeness" is more contextual
than many people realize. If I am around a group of military and
ex-military people, my language is likely to be coarser than usual, and
probably my sense of humor as well.
        Those qualities listed below are ones that I try hard to avoid
allowing them to take root in my personality. But then again, there is
often a large difference between what any two people perceive. If I do
start showing those tendencies, I know I can always count on my friends
to call me on it. One of the real blessings of the SCA is that I can
expect it of acquaintances and strangers as well.
        We are all, alas, too human, and know in advance that we will
never quite achieve being that golden, wonderful human being we try to
be. But you can come a lot closer with a lot less strain when you know
there are dozens, or hundreds, of extra consciences watching out for you
on every event site, helping you on toward that unattainable goal.

        Annes' prayer says it all: "Lord, please help me to be the person
my dog thinks I am. Amen."

                                       Hallelujah!

                                                Iain MacCrimmon

                    Cave Tyranniam Timorium Suorum