[Ansteorra] Teahcers' Day-rant

Mahee mahee_of_acre at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 13 11:25:02 PST 2002

--- CE Huse/Lady Maria Cabeca de Vaca <cehuse at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
...Our heros (in mundane life) are those who protect us and keep us
safe....policemen, firefighters, paramedics and servicemen, because
they do this voluntarily with the knowledge that they are puting their
lives at risk.
---
Here is a thought. I am not compairing what teachers do to what vetrans
have done. There is no compairison. Thank you-to the Vets.

We frequently ignore teachers, and ignore what they do on a daily
basis. We send them nasty letter and call their principals every time
we do not like the slightest thing they do. We forget that they deal
with guns, knives, drunks, drugs, and death on a regular basis in one
fashion or another. Some see higher degrees than others. We fight the
same fight year after year until that problem child finaly grows up and
becomes a doctor or a lawyer or a trashman who all make more than
teachers do. Teachers are painted as fools or perverts in show after
show, and parents treat us as both.

I heard a student today say in the hall a name I had not heard in many
years. But the name made my heart sink as I remembered the child who
once  was in my class and his very senceless death in 6th grade. I have
lost students, and I take it personally as all teachers do. That was my
kid who died. One who I had invested my time in teaching and
protecting. His death and many others will always be with me. They are
my kids.

Teachers do not do the same job as other civil servant, but we are
servants. We are treated like we are mercenaries, independant
contractors. We work for the city, the state, the government, and the
people, but none of them claim us.

So what am I saying? I do not know.

please take no offence by any of this, none was intended

your servant,
mahee