[Ansteorra] New Question 11/20

j_smallw at titan.sfasu.edu j_smallw at titan.sfasu.edu
Thu Nov 21 20:01:10 PST 2002

Perhaps some clarification of the terms "selfless" and "selfish" are in order.

The main thing is motivation.  If the reason one does an act is primarily to
advance one's own interests then it is "selfish", even if some good comes of
it.  For example, if someone were to help someone in distress simply to be a
hero, instead of merely because it's the right thing to do, then it is selfish.

Though the term "selfless" literally means "with no regard  or concern for
one's self", it is generally taken to mean "with little concern for one's
self."  If someone does an act simply because it needs to be done or
is "right", then it is a "selfless" act even if they might get a "good feeling"
out of doing it.  If the motivation was primarily to get the "good feeling"
then it becomes closer to a selfish act.  That being said...

> When is a selfless act a chivalrous act?

When the selfless act is in accordance with the values of chivalry.  Such as
protecting the weak, or charity for example.

> When is a chivalrous act a selfless act?

When the act of chivalry is done with little regard to what the person
personally gets out of it.  Courtesy and generousity are chivalrous acts that
are also selfless acts in general.  Reknown plays a large part in chivalry and
where it does, those acts usually aren't considered selfless.
It's strange that many seek reknown while humility is also considered a
knightly virtue.<G>

> Are all self-less acts chivalrous? vis-versa?

No.  They aren't one in the same, but they are not mutually exclusive either.

I have seen many selfless acts over the years in the SCA.  Recommending someone
for an award you feel they deserve is a selfless act.  What do you get out of
it?  For some, accepting an award is a selfless act.  They may feel they don't
deserve the recognition (humility?), but they know many people felt they
derseved it and they accept primarily for those that made such
recommendations.  We see it more often at the higher award levels.  To hear
members of an order speak from their hearts that you belong with them is both
an elevating and humbling experience.  Though you might have doubts about your
worthiness, how can you disappoint them, not to mention the crown that has
found you worthy?

The people that help out and serve simply because they may be of service are
selfless.  They don't do it for the praise or for what award they might get
because of it.  Those that take the time to recognized such service are
selfless in that they simply want these people to know that someone does see
and appreciate their work.

A year and a half ago at the Crown Tourney in Emerald Keep, many people pitched
in to help get vehicles out of the mud (some were sunk to their axles).  Yes,
there was a necessity.  The vehicles needed to be unstuck, but it would have
been easy for many to say "well someone else can help them."  But several
people helped out, getting soaked, covered with mud, and in the cold.  I don't
think they were thinking "I'm sure to get noticed for this."  They simply saw
people in need and pitched in.  I see that sort of thing time after time.  And
every time I do, it just reminds me of one of the reasons I'm glad I'm
Ansteorran.

I'm sure every one can think of several instances like that, so there is no
need for me to go on.  I've taken enough of your time as it is.

Ansgar