[Ansteorra] Archery Authorization

Eadric Anstapa eadric at scabrewer.com
Thu Oct 24 21:08:08 PDT 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Bob Dewart" <gilli at hot.rr.com>

> Gee whiz, don't know.  Always thought you had to be authorized in the type
> of fighting going on at the time.
>
> Gilli

HL Gilli is correct.  You have to be authorized for the type of fighting
that is going on at the time.  If you wish to set foot on the Rapier field a
Rapier Combat Authorizing Marshal must have authorized you for Rapier Combat
and if you wish to set foot on the Armored field the Armored Combat
Authorizing Marshal must authorize you for basic Armored Combat.

In you basic authorization you learn all the "basics" like the rules of
engagement, what it means to be properly armored, what is and what is not a
good blow, how to die, how to obey the marshals, what to do when something
wrong/bad happens, etc. etc.   Everyone who sets foot on the field is
responsible for knowing all of the above.

Then AFTER you get your basic combat authorization you can authorize in
supplemental weapons styles like Fiberglass Spear, or Unpadded Glaive, or
Heavy Rapier, or Missile Combat.

A Combat Archery Authorizing Marshal can authorize you for Combat Archery
but before you satisfy the Combat Archery Marshal that you are safe in
combat with a bow and arrow you must first satisfy the appropriate Armored
or Rapier Combat Marshallate that you are safe to set foot on their fields.

For Instance, simply as Kingdom Archery Marshal I should not be able to
authorize people to set foot on the Rapier Field without Don Iago and his
deputies first declaring that they are safe a ready for Rapier Combat.
Unfortunately, I don't have the time to stay on top of the rapier rules and
something like rapier armor requirements might change and since I am not a
rapier marshal I am often out of that marshallate loop.  It seems silly that
I should be allowed to authorize people to set foot on the rapier field if I
am not absolutely staying on top of any rapier rules changes (even if they
are only there to use a bow).  The Rapier Authorizing Marshals will be on
top of the rapier rules.  The Combat Archery Authorizing Marshals will stay
on top of the Missile Combat rules.

You are correct HL Plachoya that our kingdom handbook does not say a lot
about the actual authorization process and the Society Handbook says even
less.  It is clear that people are often unclear about the authorization
process.  However, this precise topic was discussed at a recent meeting of
the Earl Marshal and his deputies at Stargate Baronial.  All agreed that
this was the desired and intended procedure and that it would be clarified
in the next revision of the handbook to help avoid any further confusion.

Always in Service,

Lord Eadric Anstapa
Kingdom Archery Marshal, Ansteorra
eadric at scabrewer.com