[Ansteorra] Re: Local Heralds - was New award questions

Brent Ryder borekvv at hotmail.com
Thu Sep 5 10:44:53 PDT 2002

>Message: 3
>From: "Bob Dewart" <gilli at hot.rr.com>
>To: <ansteorra at ansteorra.org>
>Subject: Re: [Ansteorra] New award questions
>Date: Thu, 5 Sep 2002 09:26:19 -0500
>
>That's one of the reason I thought making the local herald's >job
>"optional" was less than a good idea.
>
>Gilli

Just a quick note here. When I was a regional herald, Eclipse if you are
interested, There were many groups that only had a local herald because they
were forced to by law. These heralds were difficult to contact, rarely
reported and did practically nothing that I could determine for or in their
group in regards to heraldry. Just because there was a herald does not mean
they would keep up with such an OP if one existed before they took office
and even less likely they would create one while in office if it did not
exist already.

Removing the need for groups smaller than a barony to have a local herald
meant that the regional would know where they needed to apply their efforts
more and removed the onus of having to find another officer for the smaller
groups.

'Warm bodies' holding office because the office needs to be filled serves no
one. If someone finds they have an interest in heraldry, then I am sure the
local group would love to have them as their herald and the CoH is always
interested in training heralds from all fields of heraldry.

My apologies to anyone who took an office because their group needed someone
due to a law requiring it. You served your group by filling a needed
position. I also give high praise to those who took the office and ran with
it even though they had little knowledge and or interest in it. My statement
above is a reflection of the problems inherent, and, at the time, seemingly
endemic to the forced placement of heralds into office where they did
nothing but occupy space (no reports, or any other heraldic activity unless
force or coersion were applied regularly).

Thank you all for reading this rant. I now return you to your regularly
scheduled debates.

Borek