[Ansteorra] Re: Local Heralds - was New award questions

Bob Dewart gilli at hot.rr.com
Thu Sep 5 19:36:27 PDT 2002

I've been Middleford's Herald twice.  Here's what I did.

I made an OP for the Shire.  I listed everyone.  In consultation with other
Shire members ( I can't be every where either) I tried to keep track of what
everyone was doing, how long they had been playing, etc.  It was especially
important for our military members as so many of them move around
conciderably before getting to us.

Prior to each event I'd consult with as many Shire members as I could for
possible award recommendations.  It seem that if they were going to get
written I'd have to do.  So I did.  We did it patition style.  Many actually
looked forward to the award patition.  The part I like best was getting
folks to sign the recommendations while not seeing their own.  Sometimes I
was quite inventive.

After the event, I'd update the OP and keep track of what awards were not
awarded. For one poor fellow who was one of our hardest worker, it took 8
times of recommending him before he got his AoA!!

Some might say, "That leads to clicks and favortisms".  It could, that's
true.  If you only look at a small portion of your group, it will happen.
However, if you're looking at the whole group, probably not.  Here's an
honesty check that I had to use a time or two.  If there's someone you have
differences with, write down what they do.  On a blank sheet of paper list
the things they do that would qualify them for an award.  Show the list to
someone else and ask them would they'd recommend a person who has done what
is list for a such and such award.  Thier blind responce takes whatever bias
there might be, for or against, out of the picture.

Gilli
Shoot more arrows.  You're bound to hit something.