[Ansteorra] Re: Local Heralds - was New award questions

J.G. Bretz b3zsgirl at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 6 07:44:04 PDT 2002

> Some might say, "That leads to clicks and favortisms".  It could, that's
> true.  If you only look at a small portion of your group, it will happen.
> However, if you're looking at the whole group, probably not.  Here's an
> honesty check that I had to use a time or two.  If there's someone you
have
> differences with, write down what they do.  On a blank sheet of paper list
> the things they do that would qualify them for an award.  Show the list to
> someone else and ask them would they'd recommend a person who has done
what
> is list for a such and such award.  Thier blind responce takes whatever
bias
> there might be, for or against, out of the picture.

I am really glad that someone takes their job seriously, and attempts to
remove personal bias from the picture.  I would hope that we would all
recommend people that we don't necessarily agree with, especially if we are
a herald with this responsibility or a landed noble.

Unfortunately, human nature tends to hit people who don't see it as a
responsibility to be impartial.  If a crown does not know all the
circumstances surrounding the petition that can take the peer pressure out,
such as putting it on a table and walking away so there is less pressure or
that it is a standard practice in a group, then they have nothing to assume
it is handled any better than the in your face one.

I think that goes back to inundation with recs to weed through.
Biatrichi di Palermo
Seer to the nobility since 1492

Non essiri duci sinno tu mancianu, non essiri amaru sinno ti futanu

Perhaps I will write a rec this week for someone I see working that is not
in my circle of friends, or that I necessarily see eye to eye with.