[Ansteorra] New award questions

Lightfootcim at aol.com Lightfootcim at aol.com
Wed Sep 4 07:41:21 PDT 2002

In a message dated Wed, 4 Sep 2002 8:47:14 AM Eastern Standard Time, gilli at hot.rr.com writes:

> Did you not sign it because you just don't sign petitions or because you
> didn't agree?  Did you not sign, then think the recommendation was a good
> ideaa and send in your own?  Just curious.
>
> Gilli
> Shoot more arrows.  You're bound to hit something.

I just feel that award recommendations are more of a private thing, kind of like "Here is what  *I* know this person has done".  Petititions may or may not get the subtleties of what a person does.  Please don't get me wrong, petitions have their place, and if I felt the best way to get my point across was to sign one, I would.  Petitions can also be a great peer pressure tool too. e.g., "Come on, everyone else has signed it...."  I have never been one to go along with the crowd, I guess. :)

To answer your question, though, I don't sign petition recommendations because I don't agree with the method.  Now whether I agree with who the receipient of the possible award is and why, that's a different story. Sometimes its yes I agree and sometimes it's no, I don't agree with the petition.  If it's yes, then I write one of my own and send it in separately.  Heck I can remember countless times that my wife and I have sent in awards totally separately, whether we agreed on the same recipient/award or not.

I really try to make up my mind independently based on what I see or am made aware of about a person's accomplishments. I feel that if I just go along with what someone else is saying without witnessing it myself, I am reacting to heresay.  You know what they say about "seeing is believing". LOL!

John Lightfoot