[Ansteorra] New award questions

Morgan Buchanan morganbuchanan at hotmail.com
Mon Sep 9 20:26:09 PDT 2002

Well....we know that many people will never get an award higher than an AoA
award.  I don't see, however, why facing reality is "negative."  :)  Now,
you may refer to awards that people MAY never get past as a plateau, and I'd
agree that it's probably nicer to say that a person is at a plateau, even if
it's a 20-50 year plateau.  :)  But the reality is that it MAY be a
terminus.

Personally, I'd never refer to an AWARD as a "terminal award" unless it
truely is...ergo, a peerage.

But many people ARE at their terminal level.  It's just not provable that
it's thus until they quit the SCA or are no longer living.

The reality is, it's better for people to feel like they have somewhere they
can go, more than can achieve.  So the people who aren't at TRUE "award
terminus locations" have things they can still achieve, no matter how long
their plateau has been.  That's true of those who ARE at the peerage level
as well...they just don't get a nifty award go go along with their new
achievements.  :)  But we should all strive...and the motivation is within
us, and mere words won't still the efforts of the motivated, and mere words
won't make the unmotivated suddenly to better themselves.

Morgan