[Ansteorra] New award questions

Rebecca Bevel rebevel at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 4 14:30:41 PDT 2002

Ansteorra does not have any POLLED orders.  We do have several CONSULTING
orders.  The difference is more than semantics:

Polling orders require that every member of the order be polled (usually in
a written form), and the results tallied, and if the polling results do not
meet the criteria set in the charter, the Crown cannot give the award.  This
creates a huge burden to track the current address of every member, prove
that a polling took place, and that ever member of the order was included in
the poll, and I've always wondered what they do when a member of a polling
order stops playing, moves out of kingdom, or dies.  The populace at large
is not polled.

Consulting orders require the Crown to solicit the opinions of the Order.
This can be done in a private discussion, in a circle, or by whatever means
is available.  Every member of the order does not have to be queried.  The
Crown may chose to elevate someone without the consent of the Order.  This
does not happen often as it creates many problems for the new member, and
the fallout can last for years.

If there was any question, I am opposed to polling orders.  We have enough
layers of bureaucracy in our mundane lives.

Regarding recommendations from spouses:  We considered these with a grain of
salt, and they were more likely to be granted if they were supported by an
additional recommendation from outside the immediate family.

We also considered petitions with a grain of salt.  More often than not, the
number of signatures was not nearly as important as the notes in the
margins.  It's just too easy to sign a petition.  If you really believe an
individual deserves an award, show it by sending in your own recommendation.
With email & the on-line form, this is pretty easy as well!

Rebekah