[Ansteorra] 3 Questions...

D. Vandever hlannes at ev1.net
Wed Sep 25 14:51:44 PDT 2002

Lorraine wrote:

> So here's my current set of questions.
>
> 1. What are 3 things you like about the SCA in Ansteorra?

Not having lived or played in another kingdom, I am probably rather biased
but....I think from what I hear and read of other kingdoms, it is my belief
that Ansteorrans play the SCA a bit more "seriously" than elsewhere...for
which sometimes we are thought of as more than a little strange.  I,
personally, like the way we play, but then, like I said, I may be biased.

> 2. What are 3 things you have been doing in the past 6 months
> in the SCA that you enjoy?

What I have always done....service, service and more service....I like doing
what needs to be done.  I meet heros and heroines constantly and make
instant new friends as we all work together to get the whole thing to work
out right.  Some look on service as being "anal" or being "a glutton for
punishment" or simply "being unable to say no".  I see service as one of the
highest of callings anywhere...inside or outside the SCA.  Without those
willing to serve, be it gate, feast, herald, page, waterbearing etc. etc.
etc., the fun never gets beyond the edge of the encampment.

> 3. Who are 3 people in Ansteorra who best personify the attributes of
Ansteorra?

HL Thorgard inn Svarti-for being so good at being the "quiet giant" of
personnae.  Just being around him brings everybody a notch higher in looking
at their research and personae play.  He has been a real driving force
behind the Longship Project and a rock (no pun intended) that everyone can
hold to when something needs to be done.

HRM, Sir Patrick Michael Gordonne-5 times King of Ansteorra.  More than any
one person in this Kingdom (who still plays...Innman was King one more time
but Innman has left the building), it has been his ideas and decisions which
have shaped the destiny of this Kingdom to be the glory that it is.  When
not on the throne, he continues to play and teach and mold and most
importantly-remember-and remind us-what we are, what we should be, and what
we could be.

The last choice is the hardest...because there are so very many persons who
could be here among the "best of the best".....  Sir Emrys Shaunnon, another
quiet giant who everytime I see him, awes me with his incredible balance
between the fierce fighter on the field, the artistic bard at the campfire,
and the gentle Lord to his Lady...Mistress Gunnora...researcher
extrodinaire...the Viking Answer Lady...we all benefit from her depth of
knowledge and passion for her chosen field...HE, Sir Arenvald Kief av
Kierstead, Baron Ravens Fort, who can chill me to the bones as he speaks
before the assembled populace concerning battle and service....Mistress
Shannahan Stormbreaker, whose memory is long and whose love for this Kingdom
shines like a beacon in the night....Duchess Willow de Wisp....who after
being with this Kingdom before it ever was a Kingdom still gives and gives
and gives her everything and her all to help it shine the brightest and the
longest....

But after much thought, I must here say that the third person who best
personifies the best of Ansteorra is every single newcomer I have ever had
the pleasure of witnessing their excitement, their pleasure, and their awe
as they attend their first event.  In their awkward speech as they attempt
to play, in their hand-me-down garb or their spandex, I see the greatness
that is to come and I cry "Vivat!" for they are the future of our great
Kingdom...and each and every one of us and all I have mentioned and the
literally hundreds I have not have stood where they are today....as they
will stand where we are when we are no more than a fading memory in some
historian's picture book or a bard's song.  They are the greatest and best
and most important of all.

Annes
Dear God,  Help me to be the person
my dog thinks I am.  Amen