[Ansteorra] Event Limits?

Ron eirik at hot.rr.com
Tue Aug 19 07:58:20 PDT 2003

> If you have any questions about this, you should contact the Kingdom
> Seneschal (seneschal at ansteorra.org) or Their Majesties
> (crown at ansteorra.org), or your local Baron and Baroness (who should
> have heard about this first-hand at Round Table). Or raise
> the subject
> on Red Tape, as a couple of you have suggested.

First of all, why has no of this been told to those shires that don't
have landed nobles to inform them. As a shire member, I can tell you
that we don't here the news from a landed person in these groups. The
baronies worry about themselves and don't bother to bring this kind of
news to the shires, at least in my region.

> Personally, I feel that this change is a Good Thing(tm), and should
> encourage us to have fewer, but better, events. It should encourage
> more groups to bid for kingdom events (such as King's College), which
> often go begging for bids at present (or just don't get
> held). (There's
> a list of these events in Kingdom Law.) It should also
> encourage events
> that are hosted by multiple groups, pooling their efforts to pull off
> truly spectacular events.

What about those groups that have one event a year and it is up against
a Steppes Warlord or it rains for several days and their site is not
usable. These groups would lose money on those events that wouldn't be
recoverable. Non-calender events are good for local stuff that local
folks want to attend, but don't have the draw of calender events. If you
have an event that the Crown attends, you will see a bigger attendance
rather than a non-calender event that no Kingdom business can occur at.

> Finally, it doesn't prevent groups from hosting extra events if they
> want to; those events just can't be on the (very crowded) Kingdom
> Calendar. The only difference this makes is whether armigerous awards
> can be given out at the event. Holding events, even if not on the
> Kingdom Calendar, is still a lot more fun than selling "band
> candy", or
> any of the ways that other hobbyists raise money to pay for their
> group's expenses. :-)

This won't keep weekends down to one event. There are 42 groups listed
in the Black Star. There are 52 weekends in the year. Six weekends are
taken up by Crown Tourneys, Coronations, and Round Table events. Four
weekends happen during Pennsic and Gulf wars. That leaves 42 weekends.
There are 65 calender events that can be held. There will still be
weekends that have two or more events during the year. Looking at the
unoffical calendar online for the next year there are less than 6
weekends that have more than two events. All this does in my opinion is
cause the smaller groups to not be able to count on the income of a
second calendar event. The smaller groups need the oppritunity to gain
the income from those events. I'd like to see more Kingdom events given
to shires and cantons if this goes into effect. That would allow those
groups an oppritunity to get additional funds to help keep them
functioning.

Eirik