[Ansteorra] Event Limits?

Gudze O'Domhnaill gudze at pagancow.org
Wed Aug 20 00:39:36 PDT 2003

As promised, I'm weighing in. Okay, so I'm a lightweight, but I'm one who
can type. :)

On the topic of Barony vs. Shire (et al):

I agree with the new proposed numbers of Calendar events per year.As someone
said, Baronies worked hard to become such, and typically have more people
than the shires, cantons, etc. Instead of using this proposal to further
divide our weekends, we (the people of Ansteorra) should band together to
make the events that ARE held that much more spectacular, as someone said.

On the topic of Money:

This is a waste of a topic. Yes, money is an unavoidable concern for
thriving organizations. However, to make this a prime argument against the
event limits counters the reason we have events (as someone said). In my
humble opinion, the events that should be listed are the ones that come with
a lot of hoo-hah; events that would make people want to travel cross-kingdom
just to be there. Start holding events like that that, and the money will
take care of itself (as long as someone keeps an eye on it).

On the topic of Barony-Shire Cooperation:

I can see no reason why a barony couldn't hold an event with participation
from the neighboring shires and cantons one weekend, and for a shire to do
the same with the support of a barony on another weekend. There is no need
to compete with your neighbors for weekends and money. With some good
planning and cooperation, this problem will work itself out.

On the topic of Splitting the Kingdom:

I would certainly hate to see Ansteorra split, especially since Ansteorra
has a long history and a lot of people in every corner that wouldn't want to
live anywhere else. However, I can see this as an opportunity as well. It
could be an opportunity for unprecedented inter-kingdom relations. I don't
know how often kingdoms split, but I'd think it would make for a great
chance for two siter kingdoms to possibly accomplish what one couldn't alone
(not referring to anything specific, just trying to whet some imaginations).

On the topic of Information Dissemination:

It is my opinion that each region (to include as least one barony or other
group having landed nobles that are "in the loop") should hold meetings.
Representatives from each group would attend, and anything that happens on
the BOD or Kingdom level that isn't advertised very much would be told to
them. This would also be a great time to plan inter-group events. :)

On the topic of Viruses (or virii, if you prefer):

They stink.

Okay, I need some caffeine. Anyone who disagrees, please do comment to the
list or to me privately. I'm happy to discuss and defend (and, if necessary,
change my mind about) anything I've said. However, I have a feeling that
this post is basically a summary of the topics presented already, with a
little of my own flavor. Thank you all who read this far!

Humble Regards,
Gudze O'Domhnaill