Viewpoints...Re: [Ansteorra] Event Limits?

L T ldeerslayer at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 21 20:05:12 PDT 2003

Bob Dewart <gilli at hot.rr.com> wrote:
>You said, "more Peers I know have dropped out because they don't have fun at
>events anymore because there's always something that comes up that they >end up taking care of...either Peer stuff, crisis management, or something
>else...".

>Those crisis management or something else's might have just as easily been
>taken care of by someone else, IF given the chance, opportunity or perhaps a
>bit of guidance.

People ARE given the chance...they have the chance everytime a problem comes up...they are just not confident enough or just don't want to deal with stuff so instead of following procedure, asking advice, or doing the research themselves...they run to an "authority" to handle it...

I'm not saying that there aren't situations that we need the immediate attention of authority for...anything dealing with legal issues needs to be taken to the chain of command immediately...

I'm talking about personality conflicts, timing issues, or even just discontent...

> But as we have talked before, some folks just keep
>jumping into the fire till they get a grumpy golden brown. I guarantee you
>that one of two things would have happened had that peer not been there: 1)
>someone else would have taken care of it, or 2) folks would have just lived
>with it.

I seem to understand from this comment that you think the Peers are jumping in without allowing others to take care of it...and I was coming from the direct opposite point of view...that people draw in the Peers too quickly at times...instead of working through things themselves...

and ya know...both viewpoints are valid...!

>Teaching is what we do, or at least I thought so. That should also include
>letting folks do what they have been tought or let them do on the job
>training.

Very true...and sometimes that means standing back and watching the "kids" make their mistakes and sometimes it means teaching by example...

>So, it was a self infected wound. By their continuing to jump in the fire,
>the deprived some one of the opportunity to feel the heat some to get use to
>it. Folks get use to haveing someone take care of things to the point the
>one doing the taking care of walks off. That's a terrible loss, but it
>dosen't seem to bring things to a hault nor change the nature of the beast.

In some ways it is a self perpetuating thing...but you might consider that any time a Peer walks away...they will be called down 7 ways to sunday about how they abrogated their responsibilities and cussed for being a "bad Peer"...tell ya what....I've got that T-Shirt...and unfortunately it is a large part of being a Peer...like being a parent...you have to be able to "fade the heat"...for your every action, non-action and reaction...you also have to figure out when to give advice, when to let the little birds fly...and when to walk away...not an easy thing...

>To add to this sad fact of life, it's not just peers this sort of thing
>happens to either.

I'm sure it even happens to Gillis ;-)

>Did that help?

It helped me...I really did not understand where you were coming from on that one...

Thanks for the response...

>Gilli

Lorraine DeerSlayer