[Ansteorra] Event Limits?

PKieferjr at aol.com PKieferjr at aol.com
Tue Aug 19 19:42:25 PDT 2003

In a message dated 8/19/2003 5:33:15 PM Central Daylight Time,
mtucker at airmail.net writes:
How did you get from that, to "seriously considering reviving the
"principality" dead horse"? True, each piece of a divided kingdom would
have fewer events on its calendar; we have somewhat that situation
already, with the kingdom calendar deputy charged to prevent
conflicting events within each region. But will that solve the
over-riding problem (as restated above)? I don't think so. Limiting
events by region hasn't helped to unclutter the calendar or improve the
quality of our events, so how would dividing the kingdom help?

Yours,
Michael Silverhands
I'm basically looking at this as "we've become overwhelmed that we can't do
things efficiently or effectively within the current structure without coming
up short somewhere", so we add another layer of sorts.  One would have to
acknowledge that someone can't be everywhere they'd like to be (i.e., Crown, et.
al.), so another layer, in the form of a coronet principality, delegated certain
duties when the monarchy cannot be there in person.  Sort of like a
"stand-in" (although a noble is supposed to do this as well).

Take a look at the number of groups overall. Unless I'm in error, that's 41
total.  Is this an unusually high number for any kingdom?  Did other kingdoms
run into this "overpopulation" problem?  It reminds me a lot of the fact that
our planet is home to 6 billion people, and that affects practically
everything.  This appears to be one of those effects:  A metric buttload of SCA'ers (a
Good Thing (TM), but a logistical nightmare).  How many kingdoms are there now?
 I think I've lost track, but you get the idea.  The Kingdom itself may have
grown too big to be handled in a official monarchial capacity as one undivided
unit.

41 groups, 39 available weekends.  Still sounds like we've grown rather big.
May be time to beat that dead horse again.

Lord Johann Kiefer Hayden (Paul E. Kiefer, Jr.)