[Ansteorra] RE: free events

morgancain at earthlink.net morgancain at earthlink.net
Fri Feb 21 17:29:11 PST 2003

Timo explained:
> There might be a bit of confusion here. "Free events" are ok, but
> there were a few groups that tried to throw events that had a rented
> site, feast, and all expenses paid for by the local group's SCA money.
> I specifically remember one group wanting to have a feast catered at
> about $10 a head, paid for out of their funds, and free for the first
> 100 reserved. The minds was that the local shire had done very well
> over the years and this was a thank you for all the hard work. This
> was rightfully quashed by the Kingdom Seneschal, as was any event
> idea that would purposely lose money, because in the end, it's all
> the SCA Inc's money anyway.

Interesting!

When I lived in the Middle Kingdom (yeah, yeah, I know, "we don't want to
know how they did it differently somewhere else, little girl"), my group
took especial pride in throwing free events.  No site fee, no feast fee,
and we served anywhere from 200 to nearly 300 people a 3-4 course meal.

The theory was that we invited people to come and play (especially when we
did our Challenge Tourneys), and it would be quite inappropriate to ask
your guests to pay.

This was a group that was very good at fundraising through demos,
commemorative items, and so on.  We also often managed to have the event
come into the black.....but I will be giving away Devious Exchequery
Secrets if I go much further into that.  y;)  I admit we had a site with a
low fee, and we charged the merchants a token $1.00 per table in the years
that we were charged for the tables, but the rest came from our coffers.

Yes, our events lost money if our side practices didn't work.  But we could
well afford it.  Our little college had more money than all but two groups
in the region, including several Baronies.  We didn't have much else to do
with the money, once we bought all the equipment and supplies we could
think of for all our activities.  We figured that having a free event was
just a way of using the SCA's money to further the SCA's purposes.

Neither the Kingdom Seneschal nor the Kingdom Exchequer ever gave us a peep
of a problem about it.

                              ---= Morgan, still learning about
                                   her new home Kingdom's quirks

"A university is what a college becomes when the faculty loses
 interest in students."             ---= John Ciardi (1916 - 1986)