[Ansteorra] free events

iainmacc at juno.com iainmacc at juno.com
Sat Feb 22 08:46:38 PST 2003

On Fri, 21 Feb 2003 18:27:42 -0600 "Tim Lozos" <sirtimo at hotmail.com>
writes:

> that the local shire had done very well over the years and this was
> a thank
> you for all the hard work. This was rightfully quashed by the
> Kingdom
> Seneschal, as was any event idea that would purposely lose money,
> because in
> the end, it's all the SCA Inc's money anyway.

        While I can see the validity of that point, still...

        In any given group, any money they have is likely to be a direct
result of their own donations and their own fundraising efforts, no? It's
possible that a Shire or Canton would have money from their supporting
Barony, but in most cases I'd expect the money in their accounts to be
that which they had raised themselves. If they have been "too successful"
at raising it and "not successful enough" at incurring expenses, they
could acquire a fair sum that was doing nothing useful.
        I should hope that in such a case, any local branch would check
to see if any "area" projects were going on (like the Gulf War gate) that
needed funding. But all the same, I would think that telling them they
cannot spend that money treating their SCA family and friends to a low
cost/no cost event could damage the very volunteer spirit that raised
those funds in the first place.

        I understand that often there are conflicts between legal issues
and human issues, and that in such cases it is usually the human issues
that must give way. I just find it sad that legal decisions, whose
purpose is to prevent people from being their worst, so often prevent
people from being their best as well.

              In Joyful Service,

                              Iain MacCrimmon

                    Cave Tyranniam Timorium Suorum